I’m a tech-lover, what can I say… here’s a list of toys I bought.
- Nikon D40 DSLR. Very satisfied, but bulky to take hiking.
- Mac Mini. Consumer remorse, I wanted the form factor, then found out it was an increasingly common design.
- Everio HD Video Camera. Somewhat satisfied. I haven’t been as into filming as I was in college.
- Kindle 3G. Extremely satisfied. This purchase completely changed my reading habits in a very positive way.
- Midi Keyboard. Somewhat satisfied. I bought it from a friend for cheap, but I haven’t been doing much composition lately.
I now have a sexy little 6.5 x 6.5 x 2 inch box on my desk beside my 19 inch flat widescreen monitor. It is a Mac Mini. 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9400 Graphics Card, DVD/CD Reader/Burner Drive, and 500 Gigabytes (0.5 TB) of Hard Drive space.
I initially had some problems getting Final Cut Express to properly handle my AVCHD video files from my JVC Everio HD nonsense video camera, but with an upgrade of Finalcut downloaded once I got my internet going, everything was happy, especially me. I’m now just a few steps away from having a full fledged indie production studio in my living room!
The remaining steps are: Purchase a pressure sensitive Midi Keyboard for playing my million and a half synth instuments in Logic Express. Purchase a moderately decent microphone for voice and live instrument recording as well as voice-overs and sound effects. Purchase a tripod so I can actually shoot decent still shots. Lastly, I must name my studio. Well I dunno about the studio name yet. But I decided on David for the computer because it is so mind blowingly normal of a name, but it also has such a nice parallel to the David and Goliath story which seems fitting considering the little box’s dimensions. I have worked under a few different studio labels before, mostly just combinations of our names like ZAusMark, and ZAusMaik. I’ll spend today thinking about it while I go out and ponder buying Spore…
Filed under news, technology