I just downloaded and ran the LiveCD of Beefy Miracle, Fedora’s most recent release.
- Japanese input methods and fonts come preinstalled.
- Accessibility features available.
- Generally polished interface
- Feels mature finally.
- Stuck with fallback mode on unsupported video cards
- Touch screen design for use on non-touch devices is stupid.
- Lack of configuration options, right clicking on the wallpaper and panels does nothing. There’s no way to change the default window manager theme which is over-sized and made for fingers not cursors.
Not blue. Just dead. My laptop LCD screen is trying to off itself. I have backlight at the moment, but I don’t know when it will cut out again. Looks like replacement is around 500 dollars. Blargh. Pretty much have to wait till I get back to the US to do it anyway.
Model: IBM T42 Thinkpad
Symptom: Intermittent loss of screen backlight. Restores briefly after boot or sleep. Previously showed pink hues immediately after boot/sleep that would fade over time.
Google says: Common-ish problem among same model laptops, most likely problem: LCD screen is shot or some sort of inverter needs to be replaced.